View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #111
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Of course there isn't a right or wrong.

I'll see how it pans out, but if it turns out that, in another 5-10 years I can only read e-books through a subscription or buy them with unbreakable DRM, I won't ever buy an e-book again. (I possibly won't buy a book ever again in my entire life, paper or digital.)

Remember how I've been screaming for 5 years that streaming books are coming? Look at Kindle Unlimited, Scribd, the Kobo service, several competing services in the Netherlands for Dutch books... and many of them only work on phones and tablets, with proprietary format, for which you need to pay month after month to keep reading. I don't do this with music or games so I won't with books. The only exception would be movies, because they can be consumed in such a short time span (generally 1.5-2 hours), so I can watch a lot of them for the money. I don't read 10 books a month, but I can see 10 or even 20 movies a month.
I've seen a number of attempts at streaming magazines. None of them really took off. Proprietary systems just don't seem to work well. Zinio seems to be the most popular Proprietary system, and really it appears to be just some form of encrypted PDF, as far as I can tell.

Music seems to make subscription and buy work side by side. I don't think it's an either or situation. Some people like to own, other don't really care.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote