View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 02:16 AM   #68
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's CSS 3 code and not CSS 2.1. So it's not valid ePub 2 CSS.
Actually, the full syntax predates CSS 2.1, and most certainly is valid EPUB 2 CSS. The @font-face declaration syntax appeared first in CSS 2.0 (complete with the optional format bits), as shown here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-1...ml#referencing

Also note that web fonts are not in CSS 2.1 at all. They first appeared in 2.0, but were removed in 2.1, before eventually reappearing in 3.0. The EPUB 2.0 specification explicitly references the older CSS 2.0 documentation for @font-face rules for this reason.

As I said, the only HTML user agents I'm aware of that support @font-face without supporting the full syntax are Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 7.x and 8.x. I'd be shocked if you found an EPUB reader that doesn't support the full syntax. If one exists, it is badly broken and is not in proper compliance with the EPUB 2 specification.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote