View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Seconded. I don't really understand the huge numbers of people here who seem to want totally even lighting. The lighting on most books is wildly uneven unless you are the sort of person who routinely crushes books flat and smashes their spines to read them (in which case death is too good for you :P ), yet nobody ever complains about that...
My two cents on this; I think that when one looks at a book, the variations in lighting are consistent with how the light falls on other objects in the room. The brain expects the unevenness as it knows that the part closer to the light source(s) will be brighter.

On an e-ink device, the unevenness brings a kind of cognitive dissonance; the screen is not “supposed” to be brighter here or there, because that’s not how the light is oriented in the room.

I do realize it sounds petty, and I wish it didn’t bother me, but it really does!
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote