View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #299
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I agree. As I said before, I'm fine with whatever is decided, but I will put in one more word for keeping a second classic. I think, though perhaps not a majority, that there is enough support for a second classic that it shouldn't change.
It was dirty tactics for someone to claim a consensus that didn't exist, in favor of eliminating a classic month. It bugs me that it might be successful. I still think that it's important to appeal to the minority element among MR readers, i.e., those who don't like SFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer
However, if it is decided that it must, here are my suggestions:

Nobel Author/Pulitzer Novel - The book must be by a Nobel-winning author or be a Pulitzer-winning book (these are the big literature awards and while there are plenty others, many are genre....to make it simple we keep it to the two big awards)
Can I suggest adding the Man Booker Prize (or just the Booker, for earlier years) to the list? We don't want to be too Yankocentric. But why do I think that literary prize winners won't be very appealing to the non-classic crowd either?

ETA: In looking over the list, there's six months devoted to lighter fiction: mystery, horror, thriller, SFF, romance. Plus wild card months that can easily end up in that category. And then there's humor, and last time that was a SF option. Can we keep the remaining months to serious fiction/nonfiction? That is, if we lose a classic month, make sure to replace it with something as difficult and dreary?

Last edited by issybird; 07-24-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote