View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #296
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
ok... as the self-appointed grand poobah....

1. i have no problem changing one of the classic months. Not sure which one though. If we don't want two classic months then lets not have two non-fiction months.

2. Science Fiction and Fantasy are two separate genre's.. even though many stores and reviews group them together.

3. I also agree several books fall into multiple categories.

Some possible ideas... other also through some one...

1. Award winners. (what awards, Pulitzer, Newbury, Caldecot, Hugo, etc?)

2. NYT Best sellers... selected from something on the list at the time we make the nominations.

3. New books/authors... a new book that came out the same year and was an authors first published book.

4. Self-published books... perhaps we can get some more exposed for these authors. I expect many will be MR members.

While the above sound like good ideas, they aren't really genres since two of the list awards are for SF/Fantasy. Any NYT best seller will fall into a genre.
That's why I was only in favor of major awards, such as Nobel Prize winning authors, or Pulitzer Prize winning books. Not genre specific awards. But if it is an unrepresented genre we are after . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, what about:

1. Westerns
2. War
3. Folktales
4. Mythical
5. Poetry

Any other ideas?
Westerns certainly is a new genre. It does not float my boat, but than neither do some of the existing genre.

War fiction? Not sure what that would be.

Folktales and Mythical to me it would seem in practice would be giving another month to Fantasy.

Poetry again a currently unrepresented genre.

Some possible others

Drama, i.e. written for stage performance

Historical fiction, possibly including alternate histories, but excluding science fiction type technology (e.g. time machines) or fantasy (e.g. magic or mythical creatures)

The only way to settle this is probably you to step in as the grand poobah. Not that it is likely to ever be settled to the satisfaction of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
I mentioned this earlier: historical fiction.
Edited to reflect the fact that the above appeared while I was typing. Credit to whom credit is due.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 07-23-2011 at 05:38 PM.