Thread: Cliff Hangers
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Nowadays, the most frequent "deus ex machina" is computers (or hackers), they can solve anything with a computer and the Internet, just in a few seconds with a couple of key presses. It is so in CSI-like TV shows, and it was the most annoying thing I found in the Millennium trilogy. I know any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic[*], but come on!
[*] 3rd Clarke's Law.

You are obviously not a teacher of creative writing to children . I taught junior high school for nine years and always had my kids try to write their own stories. I think about every third story I would read from those kids ended with them waking up from a dream. Though in science fiction, you're right, every other story ends with a computer being broken into and a brilliant solution being made available.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote