Thread: Cliff Hangers
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
I believe the technical term is called "deux ex machina." The classic version of this of course being "s/he woke up and it was all a dream."
Nowadays, the most frequent "deus ex machina" is computers (or hackers), they can solve anything with a computer and the Internet, just in a few seconds with a couple of key presses. It is so in CSI-like TV shows, and it was the most annoying thing I found in the Millennium trilogy. I know any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic[*], but come on!
[*] 3rd Clarke's Law.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote