View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It's hard to tell what might be best without knowing more of the context - how much "conversation" is going to be directed to the horse. In a lot of situations it simply wouldn't be necessary to include it at all, but it's also possible to envisage a scene in which the horse(s) are more directly involved in how the scene unfolds.

I don't have any problem with "hup, hup" in dialogue - although I don't know how you might express some of the other non-verbals. The first time you might explain whatever commands you decide to use, but after that I think it should be fine.

I haven't been on a horse since I was a kid, so about the only thing I'd be saying if I found myself on one now would be, "Get me down from here," or maybe just, "Help!"
lol, yeah, that's kinda what my problem has been. Namely figuring out how to translate non-verbals into a dialog context. In narrative context they're pretty easy to express, but the trick is putting them into a dialog scenario. Although, I do admit the grand total of conversation with the horse amounts to just the commands. So I've actually been questioning if I really need to put them in as dialog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just ask Mister Ed for a description!

Of course! Of course! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Whatever you do, please don't give us "sound effects" like Modesset does in his "Recluse" series. Great series, but the sound effects annoy me considerably!
Yeah, I hate that myself in novels and avoid it like the plague in my own. However, there are those rare times, such as in this case, that they seem to give more authenticity and realism to the scene than just saying, "He commanded the horse forward" or something dull like that. o_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have the solution for horse commands. Full cast audiobooks with sound effects and music. That would be great.
Actually, I'd LOVE to do something like that. My problem is I'm always broke. So unless someone did something like that for me pro-bono, eh, not gonna happen. Although it would be cool if it did happen.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote