View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #106
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've been playing around with this new system, and I can really see how it will make things a lot easier moving forward. The instructions were just as easy to follow as the previous method, if not easier, and the major benefit is that you only really need to configure the overrides once and have an almost automatic process. I only have two remarks that might make things a bit easier in the long run.

First, could you make an exception to continue compiling the patches even if an override entry is not found? This would make sense if someone really wanted to patch their new firmware and didn't want to wait for, say the beta games patch to be adapted. Of course, this is practically useless if you intend to wait until all the patches are adapted before releasing a new version, but if the patch release process will be in stages, I think it makes sense?

The second point is really just food for thought. While configuring everything, I caught myself having forgotten to alter the recommended value for my Aura One in the "ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins" patch. In fact, this often happened in the old patching regiment and had to redo the process. I haven't really looked at other patches to see if they have different recommended values for different models, but I can't help but wonder if there's a way to automate this process for all "configurable" patches? Perhaps by adding an entry in the kobopatch.yaml to serve as a device/model identifier?

Anyway, great job!
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote