View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I know, Harry, that imposing such text-justification is not appreciated by those who have the option to change it on their device, but in my case, my reader (REB1200 and/or EBW1150) doesn't allow for this. I'm not sure which ones do (I take it the Cybook Gen 3 can, but what about the Kindles or Sonys).
Hi Nick,

If a book does not contain explicit justification instructions, Mobi will display it as fully justified. This is the case in all versions of Mobi Reader, to the best of my knowledge.

Most implementation of the Mobi Reader (including Windows, WinCE, Palm, CyBook, Kindle) will allow you to toggle the display of such a book between left justification and full justification using a menu command. There are a few which don't, such as the iRex devices (which therefore always display a book fully justified, unless it is "hard coded" to be left justified).

Mobi's recommendations to book creators are, therefore, that justification should not be explcitly specified in the book, except in cases where it is absolutely required (eg you generally want the TOC to be hard-coded to be left-justified).

What I personally, therefore, do is carry out a series of search and replace operations in my book's HTML before creating the Mobi version of the book. One of these operations is to replace "<div align=justify>" (which is what BD, my preferred book editor, produces by default) by simply "<div>".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote