Thread: Seriousness When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That is so true. You tell a joke about dead cats, cat lovers say it is in bad taste, blonds don't seem to like dumb blond jokes, short people don't like short people jokes... and on and on.

But, does that make the joke in bad taste just because someone else does appreciate it?

I think racial jokes are generally considered in bad taste too. I also think it depends on the group or audience. There are some jokes you would tell to your guy friend but not to your wife or your mother.

BOb
I think the question you pose -- is a joke in bad taste because someone doesn't like it -- is an important question.

I think the audience is important, as you point out. But should the audience "tell" you not to post, write, or tell a bad joke? I don't think the audience has a right to act as my censor. You don't like it, then don't read it. I feel censorship is a very dangerous thing, but that may be because of my training in Journalism.

Don