View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #33
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I learned to type on a typewriter, and learned that one puts two spaces after a full stop (period for the US) and after a colon. I still use this - it's ingrained - and I get a lot of stick from my son, who had grown up in the computer age, and maintains that these extra spaces can cause problems - what problems he didn't say.p
If I were you, I'd use just one space. There may be a very good reason why you should use two on a typewriter, but on a computer, there's no need to do that. They can't cause problems(1), but they're not really necessary. I learned to type on a typewriter as well, but was never taught to use multiple spaces. (And a year later, I switched to a PC anyway.)

I do see people using punctuation in weird ways, such as putting one or more spaces in front of comma's or stops, or using comma's where apostrophes must be, or the other way around, or combinations of these things. I've actually seen people consistently use the inverted ? and ! in place where a normal ? or ! should be. (No, they were not Spanish or anything.)

Often I wonder where people pick up these weird habits.

(1) Except in some programming languages, that require some specific number of spaces or tabs (or other white space) before or after certain statements, as part of their syntax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
wars have been started over less.
Like if you should crack the egg on the pointy top or on the round bottom when you get to eat it?

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote