View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #37
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I think there's a misconception here about people liking/disliking Apple. It's not as black and white really. I, for example, am quite fond of Apple gear. My only and crucial problem with them is that they are controlling a bit too much and they are getting greedy beyond what's healthy for consumers.
Two points I would like to make about what's wrong with Apple today:
1. Controlling and censoring app market with a 100% power to decide what's good for us. I am sure they have the best of intentions, but for crying out loud people, have we not learned anything from our history? Censorship leads to totalitarianism - and that can't be good for us!
2. Purposefully designing a product in such way as to make a killing on selling accessories (no USB?).

Anything that Apple does in terms of its appealing hardware and product packaging is for me not sufficient to let the first point there slip by. The accessories business is simply mean (bend over customers!), but that's not as bad.
Are people who do buy into Apple's philosophy stupid? No, of course not!
Are people right to be concerned by what Apple is doing and voice their concerns? Of course they are!
Agreed. But there is a difference between criticizing Apple, the company and their products, and people who use their products. And on Mobileread, I'm assuming that making generalizations about companies and their reading products is fair game, but making generalizations about the people who use the products is off topic and inappropriate.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote