View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Makes me think life would be much simpler all around if each chapter of the book was always it's own file and had only one chapter heading and contents. Sigil seems to excel at that model and it makes the most sense for anyone using it. It'd be nice if the ereader manufacturers managed to include code to clean up ratty epubs, but frankly why do anything to encourage people not to buy nicely formatted books from their stores? Can't really blame them for that.
It would be much simpler and would save me the trouble of using Sigil to split epubs that came in one large file into separate chapter files. Now if the publishers would stop putting all the formatting code into the chapter files and not in a stylesheet, that would be simplify matters even more.

My current record holder for a ratty epub is one my daughter recently purchased from the author's website. The epub was created from a Word generated HTML file and split into 4 files with about 5 chapters each. Each file had over 1000 lines of crap at the start not to mention a fine collection of empty <span> tags. Those chapter files were also stored uncompressed -- only the mimetype file must be stored that way -- and all the files were in the root of the archive. The total file size was in the 2.4MB range.

After 15 minutes of effort with Sigil, the file size dropped to 400KB and opened a lot faster on her Touch.

Hmmm... reminds me that it is about time for another donation to the Sigil development effort.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote