View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Which is useless in Ireland and without a sub. I can buy a NTSC version from Amazon Global. Works out near $18 inc. shipping and is ONLY NTSC. The difference between PAL (576 lines and no pull down artefacts) and NTSC 480 lines is amazing on DVD. Most "from movie" transfers are progressive on the DVD, so with an HD player, BluRay HDMI or DVD wiith Component you can avoid the comb artefacts that spoil film to NTSC transfers (3:2 pull down). Sadly I've bought region 1 DVDs of movies to discover the content is interlaced NTSC from a video source and not encoded from a scan of the film. This why the USA had component video progressive DVD players and in PAL regions that was almost unknown.

So I only buy region 1 DVDs if I have proof they are from Film and not Video tape masters and only if no PAL region, usually 2 or 4, (even at ANY price) is available.

I might take a risk on the NTSC version from Amazon Global, but it will look rubbish if it's a video tape source transfer (even if 2" tape). Pity I don't speak Spanish, for the PAL version from USA (I wonder where that's for?)
Maybe the Spanish one is for Argentina as Brasil is Portuguese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_re...NTSC-SECAM.svg

480 interlaced with 3:2 artefacts to 720p is a big improvement. The 576 PAL to 720p (BD or broadcast) isn't much improvement at all if a good DVD, hence almost no HD broadcasts are 720, the 1080 is the norm, even on all our local off air Irish TV channels via an aerial. HD DVDs were never a thing here either.
There are ways to make it work, but hey, I'm just pointing out that it's there. If you don't want to make the effort, no skin off my nose.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote