View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Aluratek Libre vs. Kobo Reader

I've finally gotten the money and am in the market for a cheap ereader and have narrowed it down to these two. Being in Canada my choices are slim, not that there is much else in the sub-$200 price range to begin with and am not one to order online much.

So after conducting some very basic research I've come up with these two readers, the Aluratek Libre and the Kobo Reader. I've read through some of the reviews and impressions I've found on the mobileread forums and found that most views of the Libre are quite favorable, as well as early hands on of the Kobo Reader being quite good as well. At this moment its really a toss up between these two and I cannot seem to decide.

My main digression between them is the difference in screens, meaning the Reflective LCD vs. E-Ink. I've read good things about the reflective LCD, but still question if it really something to take over an E-Ink screen.

Here is how I see it:

Aluratek Libre:
+ Larger feature set and file type support
+ No blackout on page turns
+ Up to 32GB SD Card
+ Many different controls to flip pages
- Damn Ugly
- Shorter battery life

Kobo Reader:
+ Longer battery life
+ Sleeker design
+ Larger screen
- Ugly blue button
- Harder to operate with only my left hand

I like to read books by holding them only with my left hand along the spine and assume I would be comfortable doing so with an ereader, so the Kobo has a slight disadvantage there. I know the Kobo has expansion up to 4GB and am hardly likely to fill that up, but I like to have more space available if needed.

Other than those things I really cannot distinguish which I would prefer. Both have there positive and negative aspects, so I was hoping for some feedback or some opinions on the two. I know the Kobo is not out yet so hands on experience might be thin, but any help would be appreciated. I would also like to know more about the differences in screen type if someone could fill me in on the redeeming aspects of each there. Thanks for any help I can get.

Last edited by AgentBEATS; 04-29-2010 at 02:28 PM.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote