View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I think when I said that I was thinking of the initial creative process, and not the point further on in the writing arc where you have spent time with and gotten to know the characters. At the start it's not out of place to just add and remove characters without even thinking about it. However, once I've gotten my fingers into a character and worked with them for a while, and something happens that they die, I too cry over them. But until I get to know them, should they be stricken from the story early on I usually don't even bat an eye at their departing.
Ah yes, I see what you mean now. I have a lot of trouble building characters at the start - it's one of the things that causes me the most difficulty. All I have at the start is glimpse of something, and nothing much more happens for me until the characters become real. As a result very few characters get discarded early in the process, because, by the time they exist, they are the story. ... Mind you, in my current project one got a sex change very early on, and then changed her name again a bit later. I almost didn't notice either event, the fix-ups felt more like corrections rather than changes, if that makes any sense.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote