View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Is that why we do it, do you think? That sense of power. ... I hope not, I really don't like to think of myself as a megalomaniac.

The only part of the quote that I have a problem with is "nary a twinge of grief". Anyone I've spent that much time with leaves a hole when they go, so I do grieve, even for many of my villains.
I think when I said that I was thinking of the initial creative process, and not the point further on in the writing arc where you have spent time with and gotten to know the characters. At the start it's not out of place to just add and remove characters without even thinking about it. However, once I've gotten my fingers into a character and worked with them for a while, and something happens that they die, I too cry over them. But until I get to know them, should they be stricken from the story early on I usually don't even bat an eye at their departing.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote