View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
How do I keep the two Calibre's in sync or can I?
Follow the advice about never running a calibre on more than one machine at a time, and give DropBox time to sync changes before either closing a machine that has just run on Calibre or starting Calibre on another machine.

Quote:
[*]What happens to the DB if/when they're out of sync?
You will find that changes you make on one machine are not visible on the other machine as the different instances of Calibre will overwrite each others changes.

One good thing is that if you get into the state where the databases are out os sync youncan use the facility that allows Calibre to rebuild the database from the Metadat.opf file it stores with each book. This should get you back to a consistent state I believe (although I have not tried it myself)

Quote:
[*]Do they, maybe (hopefully), automatically stay in sync?
As was mentioned earlier, only if you never run Calibre on more than one machine at the same time and give DropBox time to sync changes.

Development is under way to allow calibre to operate with multiple active clients against the same database, so when that is complete it will be possible to run multiple clients at the same time. Until that is ready (no ETA) then if you are careful and follow the guidelines above you should be OK.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote