View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Dazed and confused.

I recently replaced the motherboard on my Kindle 2 only to find that it wouldn't register. (I either get a "can't connect at this time" message or no message and it stays unregistered. The Kindle techs weren't very helpful, although they did register the serial number for me. It didn't "take" however. After talking to the people who sold me the new motherboard I was told that my old motherboard was the "international" version, and that the old 3G module I had wasn't compatible, so they sent me a new one. However, I got the same results with the new one. The 3G will work to connect to the Amazon storefront, but I can't register it.

One thing I don't understand about all of this is that apparently the international version serial numbers begin with B0003. Well, both of my boards have serial number that begin with B0003. Or, at least, the old one did and the serial number reported in Settings with the new board starts as B0003.

I was told on one of the other forums that I can actually write a new serial number to the firmware provided I know the old serial number and mac address. I still have the old board, but it's not connected and though I could connect it, it would be a bit of a pain. I have the old serial number, but not the mac address. Is it, perhaps, located somewhere else, like on the board itself or on the case somewhere?

Were are the instructions on how to change the serial number and/or mac address for this new board? Which of these 3G modules should I use? Is this board actually the US version and I only gen the B0003 serial number because it's referencing my old id chip?

I've done some programming including in machine language, although it has been some time ago, but I do have a bit of technical knowhow.

--Scott