View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's heteronormative and what comes across as extremely biased in its attitudes toward women. I don't know enough about Le Guin to know whether that reflected her own attitudes or whether she was projecting her sense of what men think; I suspect that it's some of both.
I lean towards her projecting her sense of what men think. That fits with what she has written elsewhere, for example, the Earthsea character Tenar in The Tombs of Atuan and Tehanu. ("Let them accept her life and the years of her life until her death, which is also theirs. Let them find her acceptable. Let her be eaten!")

That's what makes the novel most interesting to me; the notion of a culture that isn't built on life assignment based on sexual reproduction.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote