View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Typical On the Fencer

Hello. Hopefully this first post won't completely reiterate previous threads.

First, a brief profile. I'm an avid reader, multiple genres. I'm very computer literate, in fact I'm an application developer, software project manager, and a corporate software trainer.

Here are my ponderings on eBook Readers. First, I stare at computers enough, so I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to books. I like paper books. I'm very intrigued by the eInk technology, however, and understand it. From what I've seen, for me personally it boils down to the Sony device vs. the Cybook. Kindle is just, frankly, too ugly.

Onward to the questions and issues where your opinions would mean a lot to me. First, the functionality.

It seems to me that navigation is a big issue. I review a lot of technical manuals, and need to very quickly flip from TOC to a specific page, back a few pages, forward a few pages, then to the index and to specific pages listed in the index. After playing with the Sony device, it appears you can either start from the beginning, from where you left off, or from a bookmark. Is the Cybook any better? PDF support? The Sony seems to take a long time to turn pages in a PDF. Even their owner's manual on the device seems tortuously slow to page through.

Does either device have a search feature? I often want to pick up NEAR where I left off when reading a novel, perhaps rereading from a certain remembered passage onward.

Next, features. When reviewing technical or training material, I'll need to annotate the text. Yes, I know these devices aren't laptops, and I don't want a keyboard on a Reader. But what about voice annotations? Does either device, does ANY device, support annotations?

Next, price and the economy of the eBook market. I'm sorry, but $300.00 to $400.00 for a device seems outrageously expensive. That's my first reaction, but I'm willing to be persuaded. Perhaps the device will "pay for itself" because the content will be cheaper. Really? How much cheaper? Will I be able to get the titles I want? New releases, classic SciFi, biographies? Non-fiction new releases? Which publishers?

In terms of physical media (printed books), there are qualitative differences in editions. Hardcover books are generally better quality than paperbacks, and I prefer trade cover as a nice compromise. In other words, I understand that I'll pay more for a hardcover than for a paperback and can qualify the cost difference. But when I look at eBooks, I see "new releases" still cost more, still in the $18-20 range... not that much cheaper than a hard cover, but with no qualitative difference between an old and a new "edition"! Why does a "new" eBook cost more than an "old" eBook? $300.00 plus for a device, to get content that isn't that much cheaper, with a pricing policy that is irrational... I'm just not sold. If the price of a new book is only cheaper by a few dollars, then the Reader shouldn't cost hundreds of dollars.

Device support. I see vague references to Sony's invasive software. Can someone elaborate? I see shipment, warranty service request, and customer service problems with Bookeen. Is it too early to buy a Cybook? Are they simply too immature at this point? Is Sony any better in terms of support, warranty service, and customer service?

The gadget lover in me wants one right now. The Cybook, specifically. But the practical side of me sees overpriced, limited devices from companies with significant customer service issues in a market with irrational content pricing, and the voice in my head is saying, "wait about three years".

Whew! A long post, I know, but that's my current state of mind. I'd appreciate any discussion of the points I've raised. Thank you!

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 02-19-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote