View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #102
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Or to paraphrase in monkeyspeak:

Though a dog will turn his nose on it, a banana is a monkey's best friend
Yes, I quite agree with that. To give you just an idea what my banana is, the presentation of Kindle Fire (which had been on my "possibly want to buy", but not "must have" list) made me buy a Sony Vaio P almost instantly. Reasons?

* I can have Kindle reading app on that (it's a regular Windows PC), together with Mobipocket, Adobe Reader and whatever I want
* It has practically unlimited storage - 60 GB hard disk + two slots (SD and MS)
* It has WiFi and a 3G modem built in
* It is light enough (about 600 g)
* It has a physical keyboard.
* It has a VGA-out port if I need a bigger screen

I really hate typing anything on screen keyboards and I need access to a lot of data, so "no keyboard" plus "no expansion ports" is certainly a deal breaker for me. I understand very well that it might not be so for most other people. For me, even if I bought Kindle Fire, I would still need to carry another device with me on most occassions in order to take notes, share files etc.

Incidentally - I haven't mentioned in the previous post a situation that is also very common in my case: I am in a workgroup or on a conference etc. and need to read a file which is on somebody else's computer, camera, USB memory stick or SD card. The Amazon cloud, however big and efficcient would be of no use in such a situation. With another computer it is at least possible to make a peer-to-peer WiFi network (however, this doesn't always work for some reason - especially with devices with different OS's). But if there's just an USB stick or SD card and all you have is a tablet without expansion ports - no joy!

I will still keep my Kindle keyboard 3G for regular reading, as the e-ink screen clarity and long battery life are incomparable with any current LCD/AMOLED device.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote