View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #305
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Toshiba Satellite U920T

Just have been checking out Toshiba Satellite U920T in German Media Market.
In the past, my experience with Toshiba Satellite Notebooks was great: Expensive, but real quality products.
That's why I checked out the U920T, as an alternative to Sony Duo 11.

Basically, what I want:
- Windows 8 (Pro). I already have the Surface RT, so I'm not interested in another RT unit.
- Full HD would be nice, but is not my top priority.
- No audible fan noise, at least not when only doing basic tasks.
- No "edges". Sony Duo 11 for example has a wider keyboard than the display part. If you use it in tablet mode, you feel some "levels" in your palm. The keyboard, then about 4mm in the display. Doesn't feel "right".

In direct comparison, I prefer the Toshiba Satellite U920T over Sony Duo 11.
There are no "edges" on Toshiba U920T in Tablet mode. When folded flat, it's a perfect "monolithic" tablet.
The display is freely adjustable, there's no fixed angle. Whereas Sony Duo 11 (or Microsoft Surface with the kickstand) only has a single fixed angle.
But: It's vibrating. When putting your palm on a specific part of the back, you feel a permanent slight vibration. Obviously, that's where the fan is placed.
Of course it's only a slight vibration, you won't loose grip because of that.
Still: Didn't like it.
And: Only a minor aesthetic flaw. But all those hybrids I've seen have some "feet" on their back. Obviously, when sitting on the desk, the manufacturers aim for some air circulation and the feet bring a gap of ca. 1mm between desk and ultrabook.
But this means, in tablet mode you don't have a perfectly even back. There are some "bumps" in some areas.
Maybe the solution from Microsoft really is the best? A "normal" tablet with a click-on keyboard...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-09-2013 at 11:35 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote