View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I’m not sure what it will take for me to subscribe again - it will take quite awhile to work through what I’ve already purchased over the years, and I do not miss the pressure of having to use credits before they expire. Libby has a pretty good audiobook player for library books, and an option I’ll be using much more in the future.
I have no interest at all in Audible’s proprietary content. It’s really just a shill game to disguise that you’re paying more for the good stuff. The deals, the sales, are not what they were. At this point, do long-term members even bother to look at the two-for-one sales? The books don’t change.

I have no idea what the underlying economics of producing audiobooks are, but I suspect the celebrity talent we see (hear) more and more of doesn’t come cheap. It’s not like the days when a David Case was cranking ‘em out in the hundreds to make his living. However, on the other hand, the skyrocketing popularity of audio could keep prices down, but it’s also an opportunity to raise them.

I’m not commuting anymore either, but I still get through a lot of audiobooks. I’ve got a lot of unheards and they and the library can keep me going. If I can’t hear the book I want, I can find something else. As with texts, audiobooks ultimately are fungible. My bottom line is that the price point of $14.95 is more, much more, than I’m will to spend per credit, and the add-ons provide no extra value for me at all.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote