View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Byjuak
Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've sometimes loaded several hundred books in one session (mostly after I've gotten a new Kindle). If I leave the Kindle plugged in for the night (usually to a charger, sometimes to the laptop), it indexes a lot faster. Unplugged, indexing so many books can take a week. I don't remember anything being stuck indexing indefinitely, ever. All my Kindles have always managed to finish indexing at some point, sooner or later. You just have to be patient.
Several hundred?! I once tried to load a large PDF, perhaps 20MB+ and after a few minutes, the Kindle forced a reboot..ever since then I avoid PDFs. Granted, I neither charged it nor did I leave it over night, next time I load a larger book I'll try that, very good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Yeah, on firmware 5.6.x and lower (at least) the indexer is viciously down-prioritized while running on battery and can take hours to do a few books. (This may still be true for 5.7.x+, but it's so damn fast there that I can't tell: I've dumped 20MiB mobis onto my 5.8.x Oasis before now and had them indexed in five minutes on battery.)
Oasis is a newer model, doesn't it have a faster CPU or drive than the older Paperwhite versions? Anyway, it makes sense that I always thought indexing was slow as I've almost never put into a charger for the sake of indexing.
Byjuak is offline   Reply With Quote