View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No reason you can't buy one if you want one. I've owned a few Bookeen readers over the years, all bought direct from their online store.
How is Bokeen support nowadays? I don't know if support has improved, but in the beginning of 2008, it was atrocious. In 2007, I bought the Gen3, and needed assistance in the beginning of 2008.

I had the reader connected to my computer, and wanted to format a flash card (or USB-stick; I don't remember). Accidentally, I formatted the internal memory of the e-reader, which had the firmware installed there as well as the books. The thing wouldn't boot anymore, obviously.

I've mailed Bokeen several times, on several e-mail addresses, and never, ever got a response. The store just referred me with "We don't know how to fix this" back to Bokeen.

It's actually the reason for registering at Mobileread. After receiving a zip-file with the firmware from one of the members here, I recovered the reader, and then sold it ASAP. (edit: including the zip-file and the instructions on how to recover if need be.)

Because there actually weren't any books available that I wanted to read, and because of the bad support, I waited until the end of 2011 (when the KTouch was released) to get back into e-reading. At that time, the 2010 e-book boom had happened, and Calibre had matured a lot, and I never looked back since.

Because of this experience, I would be hesitant to order another Bokeen reader... and also because of the fact that they are sold almost nowhere in the Netherlands.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-20-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote