View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jist View Post
Thanks DNSB.

Some questions though.

I don't understand where you say: "the content.opf file internal to the epub is not modified in the library."

I don't see any 'content.opf' files. Do you mean that they are somehow contained within the epub file and not visible?
What I said is what I meant. An epub uses an .opf file for it's metadata. content.opf is commonly used but any filename.opf can be used as the container.xml file contains a pointer to it. Since an epub is a .zip container, you can see the files internal to an epub in several ways. You can open it with a zip utility such as 7Zip and examine the contents or you can use an epub editor such as Sigil or calibre's internal editor to open the epub.

Quote:
If you meant to say 'metadata.opf' instead, I checked, and they do get updated as soon as you make an edit in Calibre.
As mentioned, the metadata.opf stored with the epub file is a backup copy of the data in the database and can be used when a database is restored.

Quote:
So, Calibre does not store or read metadata in the epub files themselves.
Hm, I was guessing that was possible and even useful when copying a book to an ereader that can read metadata from an epub.
As mentioned in my previous message, calibre will insert the metadata into an epub as part of a Send to device or Save to disk operation. The copy in the library is not modified, the copy sent to the device or written to disk is.

Quote:
But then again, I have no clue if or how epubs support metadata.
I am acquainted with how metadata works for mp3 and flac audio files, but I guess it's a completely different ballgame for epubs.
You can find quite a bit of information on the web. Check out Check What’s in an ePUB?: The OPF File for a quick bit of information on the .opf file and it's contents. Then you can move on to Dublin Core metadata, etc.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-09-2020 at 01:35 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote