Thread: Why Adobe?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #41
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
At this point, eReading.com will be an ADE-based store with as many DRM-free titles as we can offer. Unfortunately, as most people here know, publishers are the ones--for the most part--requiring DRM.

If, as Toddos said, it is really that easy to crack ADE DRM, then it seems pointless for the publishers to keep insisting upon including it. It seems to me that this will only encourage piracy rather than prevent it.

We elected to go as DRM-free as we could based not upon any possible competitive advantage, but because we want to be a truly reader-centric bookstore. Our focus is on making the buying process as easy and seamless as possible, and to provide people with the ability to take their books and read them outside of our app, PocketReader.

I speak on ebook panels at conventions quite a bit, and the overwhelming feedback I get is that people just don't want DRM. Amazon likes DRM not because it protects their content, but because it locks the majority of their customers into that infrastructure. I don't care for that business model, and I don't want our customers to have to deal with that mindset either.
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote