View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The problem with classics, is that there seems to be a conspiracy of the whole educational system to make every child hate them. I was good at school and I liked it on the whole, but it still did a good job of ruining some authors for me.

I had to study a play by Molière every single year for 6 years. And then one day, I saw a performance (a good one for a change). It was a revelation. I had no idea Molière could actually be enjoyable!!! Years of forced admiration for the "comique de répétition" in "mais qu'allait-il donc faire dans cette galère" will do that to you.

(Note for the non-French speakers: don't ask, it's just too painful to relive those all memories )
Exactly the same is true for a large percentage of English school-children with Shakespeare; being "force-fed" him at far too young an age at school puts them off him for life. Shakespeare did NOT write for children.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote