Thread: double l's
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
may I squeeze in just 1 final question please - why are all my other pdf conversions not also suffering from this known bug - they have ll words too.
I don't actually know, and without a sample of your book, I probably can't find out. (Kovid posted that a sample would be useless, which I knew was true with regard to solving the conversion problem in Calibre, but which I wanted just for my general edification regarding pdf structure.) However, I believe the answer is that pdfs have some tricky creation options available, and whatever pdf creation tool was used for your book used one for double ll's. Most pdf tools will just treat double ll's as two single l's. However, pdf is basically a printer language with instructions that tell the printer/viewer where to put content. It can tell the printer/viewer to put down a single l twice, offset by a certain distance. It can have a ligature glyph for double ll's and tell it to put that down once, etc. Your book just used one of the options that is less common and that poppler pdftohtml can't handle. If it had treated them like two normal characters, you wouldn't be here.

Last edited by Starson17; 01-25-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote