View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #15397
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The way I understand it (which is often times barely at all), the fourth Dunk & Egg novella will be released "early this summer" in another of Martin's short story anthologies entitled (or themed?) Dangerous Women. Similar to "The Mystery Knight" in his Warriors anthology. It (Dangerous Women) will apparently then have an 18-month exclusivity period for the new story. The Dunk & Egg collected volume (all four novellas) will follow sometime in "late 2014."
I meant Real Soon Now in an ironic way, since according to a recent-ish post on Martin's blog, he's not even finished writing the 4th D&E tale, and it's the one holding up the anthology release.

I myself would personally take cash money bets against either the D&E omnibus or the 6th ASOIAF book coming out any time in 2014, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've come to enjoy the Dunk & Egg stories more than the main series, to be perfectly frank.
I know what you mean. I'm kind of morbidly curious about what's going to happen next in ASOIAF (my personal favourite characters are generally ranked upon the "bad" sides by fandom, and the ones remaining are mostly probably slated to die horribly as some sort of comeuppance) and do want to find out how it all turns out, but I actually look forward to reading the next D&E for fun (and world-building supplementary backstory info).

And also because I get a complete story in one novella and not a 1000-page chunk of To Be Continued...

Speaking of which, the current book is Martin's A Feast for Crows, 4th in ASOIAF. I'm finally reading the thing from start to finish after having read through just the POV chapters of the characters whose particular storylines I wanted to follow when I first picked the series up last summer.

(I figured that having started the entire series out of order with the 5th book because it was in the Hugo Voter Packet, and then reading the other books out of order as soon as I could get available copies via 3 different libraries, I was already thoroughly spoilered anyway and might as well skip to the interesting bits first.)

I'm halfway through and I honestly can't say I feel like I missed all that much the first time around when I skipped roughly half the book. But there are a few interesting details cropping up in the POVs I'm catching up with, so it's nice to have that filled in.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote