View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by janviet View Post
@pondscum, when you say "Pocketbook doesn't support putting the Pocketbook firmware on Tea-branded hardware", do you mean that the device doesn't let you, or just that Pocketbook doesn't want you to?
They told me it is "vorbidden" [sic], and "We don't recommend to do it." I suspect it is a legal/license issue rather than a technical one, given that other thread where people reported successfully installing PB updates on other Tea-branded devices. I also found this blog post, which IIUC describes the author putting a PB firmware update on his InkPad 3 to fix some problem with the frontlight:

http://cod-box.net/attention-lisez-a...book-inkpad-3/

My guess is that decitre.fr is probably selling the readers at a discount because they are configured to direct users to their online bookstore, which is why PB discourages installing a firmware update that would point it somewhere else. In my case I don't shop for books directly on my e-reader, and even if I did I would use a US-based bookshop instead, so I don't see that as particularly relevant for me. I'm just a little wary about hacking my brand-new e-reader into a state where Pocketbook would no longer support it if something *else* goes wrong with it.

One of the comments in the blog post linked above says Tea is planning to release a firmware update in early 2019. I don't know how reliable that information is.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote