View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Cavelion
Cavelion doesn't litterCavelion doesn't litter

Device: BeBook1
Smile Should probably have phrased it ...

My perfect tablet/ereader.

I know some would prefer a single tablet like the Ipad or some sort.
That's why I mentioned to make them detachable, so that you can operate with only a single half of the tablet. Thus making it lighter to carry, and if it is for reading a book a single battery will probably let you read to your heart's content or until you fall asleep.

Since I'm employed in an educational environment I was more thinking along those lines aswell and so this device would be ideal in the classroom.
Lay it down in portrait mode and students can look at the left at the theory for the given lesson, the exercises could then be shown on the right screen. Or the reverse if the are left handed. Otherwise they can show the lesson on one screen and have a blank sheet of paper on the other one to write.
You can not do this properly with a single screen, it would never work, you can ofcourse write in the margin, but for decent note taking it wouldn't suffice.

I also forgot to include mesh networking. So that in a classroom, one booklet or a few have wifi access but others cannot reach it properly, they could start a P2P network lifting on the connection of those nearby.
Ofcourse the software should handle the settings per WIFI connection if lifting on the signal is allowed like known tablets, private (no others) or public (anyone may use the wifi connection). Out in the field with only one or two booklets present this wouldn't be much of use, but in a school environment you would probably save a lot in deployed wifi access points.
And who knows if other laptops, tablets, ebookreaders would start doing mesh networking it could start a whole new chapter of web access.

For a classroom, a proper software environment would be needed aswell, allowing the teacher temporary control over the other tablets in the room. Like no internet access, or no messaging, no phone, ... .
Combined with a digital board on the wall, a teacher could look at the screens of the students and even show one on the board for the whole classroom for some extra instruction or showing a much made error, ... .
The webcam would allow to reach those sick at home or in the hospital, away but still part of the classroom, ...

This device would allow a paperless classroom, all books could be digital. Content could be updated on the fly, content could even be within limits be automatically corrected, provide extra exercises or introduce new content allowing a teacher to limit instructions to those pupils who really need it. ...

Someone asked for a price.
I would think at introduction my proposed tablet full option could easily be $2000. And you know what I would buy it in a heartbeat.
I would expect the price to drop over time to around $500 - $800, depending on mass production. It isn't the $100 dollar laptop, but at least it would be fully functional and save a lot of expenses on the paper level. Books could be cheaper, have interactive content, be instantly updated upon detecting an error, ...

We only need to find a way to integrate a lunch box into it and we are all set and done for :-)

Cavelion
Cavelion is offline   Reply With Quote