View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Mishal,

Welcome to MobileRead. I've picked up some good Calibre/Nook tips that have been posted on various sites this year:

1. Book Cover Art: All EPUB's are not created equally ... there is variety in how they are formatted. So, even if you have a book in EPUB format, it's a good idea to use Calibre and convert from EPUB to EPUB. This seems to cure many cover problems.

2. The Nook is not a speed demon when it comes to SD cards. When you use Calibre to add books to your Nook card, add the books in groups of 10 or less and wait until the "Jobs" icon indicates that it's complete. Then continue adding books in groups of 10 or less. This seems to prevent your PC from overwhelming the Nook's SD card.

3. When connected to the PC, Windows lists the Nook as one drive (for example "E") and the SD card as other drive ("F"). When you're done loading books, use Windows Explorer to EJECT the card first, then EJECT the Nook. Do NOT use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function in Windows. For some reason, Nooks don't play well with "Safely Remove".

4. After you disconnect the Nook, BE PATIENT. Again, the Nook is not a speed demon. It takes time to generate Book Cover Art and sort everything into the correct SD card library folders. Wake up the Nook and let it sit for 10 minutes to "digest" the info you've just fed it. Don't scroll through libraries or mess with anything. Just hands off and wait. This procedure seems to prevent scrambled files on the SD card. Use this procedure when you are loading MANY books onto the Nook ... like the 300+ you mentioned. Not really necessary if you're adding just a few books.

On your Nook, go to Library > My Files > Memory Card. If you see files in the "Lost.dir" folder, your card is scrambled. You mentioned manually loading books into the "Documents" folder. This is not the correct location. Calibre puts EPUB's into "My Files" > "Books" on the SD card.

At this point, I'd erase and/or reformat the SD card and start loading the books again. Reconvert EPUB to EPUB, load small batches of books and proceed slowly. Taking time on the front-end can save hours of frustration later on.

Marty

Last edited by MartyTX; 07-04-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Clarification of some items
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote