View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
It might even mean writing a different story from the one you thought you were going to write.
That's definitely happens to me quite often. I usually manage to stick with the major plot, but the story evolves so much at certain times that I find the characters I thought were going to be the main ones become secondary, and some characters who were there just to fill in take the spotlight as soon as I start writing the story... which I don't mind, as I find it an interesting experience.
When it comes to making a plot though, as soon as I try to micro-manage it, I just find myself re-doing it far too often. A lot of people always tell me that I need to have the whole story planned out first, but whenever I try that, seems like it slows me down more than it helps. And thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at that book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
... and likewise you don't have much if your characters don't have something happening to them that they can act and react with.
I agree with that. I always have the conflict and resolution in mind, and aim towards it. My trouble is if I try to plan out how they get to the conflict and then the resolution too much, I always end up with something that my characters won't naturally do, and I much rather change the story a bit (still keeping the main conflict and resolution idea I had as much as I can) instead of altering characters or going with the "Oh, what do you know... I have this key in my pocket after all. Lucky me!"

I really think that organic writing is for me. As hard as I try to get the plot set in stone, it just seems more of an obstacle than an aid.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote