View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #41
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. Bill Gates made his first millions by (personally) writing ROM BASIC interpreters for the first generations of home computers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc
And though it is irrelevant now, let's not forget the one that started it all -

Microsoft Basic!
Ahem -- *ALTAIR* Basic, if you don't mind. Gates'/Allen's first BASIC was developed in 1975 for the Altair. It was generalized a year later as BASIC-80 for 8080-based CP/M machines. I've still got my old check register program I wrote in BASIC-80 on my TRS-80, which I later ported to Q-BASIC when I moved to DOS.

And in 1977 Microsoft ported its BASIC to the 6502 and licensed it to some company form Cupertino called -- what was it? oh, yeah -- Apple. At the time Microsoft had a total of six employees. In a grand bit of historical irony it was the phenomenal success of the Apple II which turned Microsoft into a million-dollar company.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote