View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I found the way to execute any shell code with root privileges via setting of LIPC property:
Code:
lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.system sendEvent ";sh -c 'mntroot rw; echo pwned > /etc/uks/random.pem; mntroot ro'"
So this scriptable browser plugin is really dangerous. Any (I repeat, any!) website, which is viewed by user in KT browser, could secretly execute arbitrary shell command with root privileges, so it will have absolute access to KT OS, filesystem and system/user files, running processes, anything.

On the other hand, it could be used in new method for easy jailbreaking through website.

BTW, @silver18, this plugin could be used in WAF apps, I assume. You've needed to execute commands from WAF application, haven't you?

Anyway, I recommend to disable this plugin. Execute in SSH session:
Code:
mntroot rw && mv /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libkindleplugin.so /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libkindleplugin.so.disabled && mntroot ro && killall wafapp
It should be reported to Amazon immediately, but I didn't do it (and will not do) as I'm curious whether somebody would want to implement that "jailbreak through website". All information is already available in this thread.

UPD On 23 Jul 2012 Amazon made available update to 5.1.2 which must be applied over 5.1.0 or 5.1.1. Amongst other changes, 5.1.2 deletes NPAPI plugin /usr/lib/libkindleplugin.so, symlink /usrl/lib/browser/plugins/libkindleplugin.so and directory /usr/lib/browser, thus eliminating possible remote attack vector.

Last edited by eureka; 07-30-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: hooray, there is official update addressing possible security issue
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote