View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
He was the Wandering Jew, or at least one version of the Wandering Jew. According to legend, it was a shoemaker, I believe, who, when Jesus stumbled under the Cross, told him to get up and move away from his shop. Jesus told him that his own sufferings would soon be over, but that he would be cursed to walk the Earth until he returned.
Thanks WTSharpe. That is something I probably should have known (the legend). So in the story the reason the character basically is quietly dropped is Jesus never returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I would point out that it is not a terribly controversial position to take that the Catholic Church was a major factor (indeed even the dominant factor) in keeping Western Civilization alive during the Dark Ages (i.e., between roughly 500-900). Indeed they are probably the reason that Plato and Aristotle are the philosophical foundations of Western thought as opposed to being viewed the same way we westerners might view Confusius.

--
Bill

That or Western civilization could have taken on a more Eastern foundation if Charles Martel had lost the Battle of Tours. First episode of a great program.

Civilisation: The Skin of Our Teeth - Kenneth Clark BBC TV 1969

Last edited by Hamlet53; 11-22-2011 at 05:52 PM.