View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I've never been in a book club discussion before, so I don't quite know how to proceed.

Anyways, here is my first bash at the book.

Miller believed in Time's cycle rather more than Time's arrow.

Miller believed that the Catholic Church kept civilization alive during the Dark Ages, and remains the civilizing agency.

I did enjoy how he tries to get inside the medieval mind. I especially enjoyed the bit about illuminating the schematic.
I would point out that it is not a terribly controversial position to take that the Catholic Church was a major factor (indeed even the dominant factor) in keeping Western Civilization alive during the Dark Ages (i.e., between roughly 500-900). Indeed they are probably the reason that Plato and Aristotle are the philosophical foundations of Western thought as opposed to being viewed the same way we westerners might view Confusius.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote