View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
srv1973
srv1973 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color with CM7
Custom Device plugin for Nook Color with CM7 & Aldiko

Hi all,

I've got a Nook Color, running CyanogenMod 7, and I use Aldiko as my preferred e-Book reader. The integration with Calibre is, well, not ideal. Before I flashed CM on my Nook, I used the standard B&N software (but rooted), and I loved the way Calibre completely transparently uploaded (side-loaded?) my ebooks into the B&N Reader app.

I'm considering putting some time into trying to make this seamless on my current setup as well. In order to make that happen, I need to do (as far as I can tell after just a little bit of investigation) the following:
  1. Make Calibre detect my Nook Color is very specifically a "Nook Color running CM7 and has Aldiko installed"
  2. Copy/etc ebooks to/from the standard Aldiko library location
  3. Access the Aldiko library.db file and reflect changes to files

I think I can manage (2) and (3), I inspected the structure of the Aldiko library database and it doesn't look particularly difficult. That'll help with detecting whether Aldiko is installed or not as well.

I'm not sure however how to create a new Device plugin that detects this is "nook color with CM rom and aldiko". I think it's not really possible to base this based on PRODUCT_ID and BCD... Without really understanding how Calibre gets these values, based on the output of the "Debug Device Detection" and looking at the source of the NOOK_COLOR class those values appear to be the same as for a 'standard Nook Color'.

Anybody can give me some pointers on how to subclass the existing NOOK_COLOR class to my specific setup, and how to make the device detection work for this?
srv1973 is offline   Reply With Quote