View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
When connecting my Elipsa to my Mac, upon ejection the Elipsa will reimport all sideloaded books whether I actually sideloaded books in the Finder or just did a sync with the Kobo desktop. Once importing is finished, only sideloaded books remain, not listed in order of import order, but alphabetized instead. All purchased books have been removed from my Elipsa. Then, when I repair my account in Settings, the book thumbnails are returned, but I have to download them all again. This happens EACH time I connect my Kobo to the desktop app.
That is expected behaviour when the database on the device is corrupt. When that happens, the database file cannot be updated. When something happens to force a reread of the database, it is basically reading an old version of the database. That means it doesn't have any changes since the last successful write, so no new books or reading status.

The device can run for a while with a corrupt database. Most of what you see displayed when looking for books is from in-memory structures. If the write to the database fails, the device will generally keep working.

If you are using calibre, it can show an error when getting the list of books. But, the driver only reads a couple of tables, and depending on exactly where the corruption has occurred, it might not see it. You can do a check of the database to see if there are errors using any SQLite database manager. Or my Kobo Utilities plugin has a function to do it.

As to how the the database gets corrupted, the only way I know is not safely ejecting the device when the database is being updated. There has to be other times as people report problems and swear they always eject safely. There are almost definitely some mistakes, but, there are two may reports for it not to happen at some other time.

Signing out of the Kobo account on the device should fix this as a new database is created. And of course, a factory reset will do that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Once importing is finished, only sideloaded books remain, not listed in order of import order, but alphabetized instead.
When importing sideloaded books, they should be added in alphabetical order using the file name, which, for me starts with the title. When the books is added to the device, a timestamp is set in the database. For sideloaded books, the same timestamp is used for all books imported in the same batch. The "Recent" sort uses this timestamp or the last read timestamp and it probably sorts by title within these.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote