View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
@geekmaster: Nice. I think a short note on unmounting should be added. Otherwise, some repair tries might fail - depending on how the device is being restarted. Another thing would be a short information that in the case of dd'ing a backup image no mounting is needed (and might even be harmful).
Agreed. I am trying to keep the amount of typing to an absolute minimum here, for people intimidated by the shell scripts and the linux command line. I recommend a proper shutdown rather than a hard reset whenever possible, so the system has an opportunity to unmount the disks cleanly.

I do not know if it would be better to tell people to always unmount the disk, or just unmount it before doing a hard reset. The problem is that if you document all the corner cases, it begins to look like the posts that this simplified version was meant to replace.

EDIT: Rather than specifically saying to unmount it, I changed the order of restoring, and mount and repair, to eliminate that confusion.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-03-2012 at 10:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote