View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #17
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, a Nook wouldn't make sense for an Australian anyway. Kind of undermines the moral high ground.

I think the current Nook is a terrific device and a great value. I've only ever had good customer service from B&N, better than from Amazon or Kobo. Certainly I'd rather deal with B&N than Kobo if a device were faulty; Kobo is a horror show in that case.

I have a hard time seeing B&N as the big evil; there's plenty to go around.
Morality has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Nooks were certainly sold in Australia and probably still are for all I know. I actually considered purchasing a Nook at one stage. Nor do I see B&N as the "big evil". Unfortunately I suspect that James Daunt really has his work cut out for him. My concerns are practical ones. To me it does not make sense to buy into what may well prove to be a dying "ecosystem". If B&N does fail, or even drops the Nook, there is no certainty about continued access to e-books. Particularly so in the absence of local drm free backups. Why take that risk?

I actually wish B&N well and would love to see the Nook flourish. But personally I would not spend my money on one right now.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote