View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #20
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Graham: Are you sure that you're not just procrastinating?
I can procrastinate with the best of them but I don't think so in this case. My recent word count is up near NaNoWriMo levels. I've written 25,000 words of first draft short fiction/scripts during October so far, with another 18,000 words of notes and exercises. (I'm lucky to be enjoying a sabbatical from my IT work at the moment.)

So, it's not that I'm avoiding writing, it's more that I've got overwhelmed with this particular idea.

Quote:
Playing with plot ideas is fun, but you can spend forever doing it.
Very true.

Quote:
Maybe make a very rough outline then begin writing. It doesn't have to be perfect first time. If you don't like it, you have something to change and work with. If you decide to throw it away and start again, well, you will have been writing for a month. No time spent writing is wasted.
I need to get a bit of distance from it, so I'm going to ignore it this week. Early next week I'll take your advice and see if I can shape a rough outline.

Failing that, I'll still do NaNoWriMo but as a rebel and aim to get 50k words of short stories or screenplays out in the month.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote