Thread: Amazon vs Kobo
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #20
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
O.

Yeah, and that's perfectly valid: in fact I also patch my Kobo to have the page information closer to the bottom of the screen, so I can gain a couple of lines more. I use KEPUBs though, and dislike the full screen mode. I never had an ereader before I bought my first Kobo, and had never even seen a Kindle in real life, so what I saw there became my 'standard', I guess.

When I wrote that post I was referring to @Atunah's concerns about buying a Kobo for someone else, fearing that they'd have to tinker with it to be able to use it; that is not true. Having the possibility to do so you might want to tinker with its software, to get the optimal reading experience, but you don't need to do it, because it works perfectly fine out of the box and is not, in general, a difficult piece of tech to use.

99.9% of people who own a Kobo use it to read KEPUBs or borrowed EPUBs and don't care that they won't get a full-screen experience...snip
Sorry, I snipped the quote to only have what pertains to me. It would annoy the heck out of me to have large blobs of white space on the screen and it would annoy the person using the device most of the time. So right there is something that wouldn't work out of the box. I want optimal reading reading experience right out the box. Why would I get a device that doesn't do that. Sounds like a defect to me.

The person I had thought of getting a kobo is using an older Paperwhite right now and never has to deal with screen not filling pretty much the same no matter the book. I just wanted to make it easier to get the library books and that is most he reads anyway, aside a few purchased titles.

Like all kindles, besides some formatting differences, text looks the same if I buy a book, borrow a book and even if I convert a book in calibre. Mind you, I only know how to do convert with one button press. I don't have any skills to fiddle with any formatting in books. And besides not having covers when I convert from epub to mobi format, it looks about the same, same margins all around and font what I choose.

If they ever had any of the kobo's at the walmart near me I could at least check them out and see. But I don't want to get something to fiddle with. And the walmart here doesn't have them. Maybe they'll get them at some point.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote