View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
While, it is conceivable that tablets will replace some paper, I doubt that it will ever completely eliminate paper for business.
I somewhat agree, although it's a matter of degree. I don't think paper will ever go completely away - there will always be some purpose. But there will be much much less paper.

From what I've seen lately (laptops moreso than tablets), people are taking notes, scribbling, carrying all their important documents, etc. on something that is < 5 pounds and can run for a full business day without plugging in. The difference between today and the 1980's is wireless networking: you are always connected and have everything at your fingertips in the meeting rooms now, which you didn't have before. The ability to pull an email from six months ago, or reference a document out of a stack of hundreds without having to wait for the meeting next week so that you can go find it - to do it now, in the meeting today - is a huge difference. I've stopped carrying paper documents, and I've stopped "writing" notes. I don't even carry a pen anymore.

I do print out some things. Like you said, sometimes you need to put things side-by-side to see them clearly. Although, bigger screens and screens built into tables might meet that need too one day... Never say never.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote