View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've noticed, too, that many so-called freebies come with strings attached or are a blatant come-on. You can easily be put off. Don't be, many offers out there are absolutely genuine. But, generous as they might be, they are not entirely altruistic.

An MR member PMd me yesterday to say that when a good book was on offer freely or cheaply, she wouldn't go for it because it would impact the author's royalties.

I was touched by that sentiment, but explained to her the value to authors and serious publishers of offers to expose and promote work. And I further explained that authors and publishers joining in Read an Ebook Week were also promoting ereading in general to everyone's mutual advantage.

She said she understood and downloaded four of our BeWrite ebooks. Know what, though? She voluntarily paid half normal price for each of them when I'd just told her the advantages to authors and publishers of actually giving books away sometimes.

And I happen to know this lovely lass had already given generously to Haiti, so her intent could only have been to encourage authors.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a big tough Scotsman, that would really have brought a tear to my eye. In fact ...

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote