View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #8
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyhan View Post
If you google on "kindle development kit", you'll get most of the known info. Basically the kdk was released as a closed beta (along with a "special" 2.4 kindle firmware upgrade) back in February. Some documentation on the kdk has been published -- as has some info on app selling and compensation rules.
Was certainly aware of the KDK - I applied for it from Amazon a while back but still haven't got any real feedback from them. It's quite frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyhan View Post
There's been a lot of ferment in the kindle space in the past few weeks. My personal guess is that there's still more to come. As the OP noted it's been very quiet -- given the changes to the competitive landscape, and Bezos' recent comments targeting kindles at "serious" readers, they may decide to back off the app idea (
I'd imagine that anyone who's spent time creating an application for Kindle would be a touch annoyed to find out they now couldn't sell it. Following this route would also kill any future application development on the Kindle platforms as no developer would be willing to risk spending the time. The application shown on the KDK site is a Soduko program which isn't exactly an application aimed at serious readers. I'm sure all sorts of small applications could be developed which might be split into various areas ie games, utilities etc.

I'm sure if applications are available and there's minimum cost to Amazon then it could only be a win-win situation. I assume they'd sell an application in pretty much the same way they currently sell a book except that it would probably go into a folder called Applications.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote