View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Kindle firmware update tool

I noticed that I forgot to release a script to extract Kindle firmware updates. So I decided to combine it with update maker, make it a bit more flexible and add support for K2 (though I can't test this part). The result is this script.
The simplest usage is to convert a shell script to an "update" to run it on the device. For example, to add a custom screensaver.
Usage:
Code:
kindle_update_tool.py e update_mmm.bin
  Extract a Kindle or Kindle 2 firmware update file. Outputs a .tgz file with decrypted content.
kindle_update_tool.py m [-k2] name file1 [file2 ...]
  Makes a Kindle or Kindle 2 (if -k2 specified) OTA firmware update file from the list of files.
  "name" is the update file suffix (final file will be called update_name.bin).
  Any file with .sh extension will be marked as a shell script to be executed.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote